Wednesday 25 March 2015

~*Evaluation Question 5*~

How did you attract/address your audience?

 To find out what would attract my audience, I had to do research into existing magazines on the market. After looking at VIBE and Rolling Stone magazine, I found that although their genre of music was different, the style in which they sent pages out would be good for my target audience, as it gets a lot of information onto the pages, but in a suitable format to read, being broken up by pictures. VIBE magazine, normally have a dominant image on 1 page, and a lot of text on another. This might bore my target audience, as the younger you are, the shorter your attention span, and a lot of text with no images may be daunting for them to read, therefore I chose not to use there method.

I asked to those people who brought magazines, what magazines they brought. I thought that because my sample was so small, that I should research that on a bigger scale as the results were already collected for me to access via the internet on the national readership survey website.  After looking at the research, I found that XXL and NME was mostly brought by people ages 16-25. And VIBE and Rolling Stone magazine was mostly brought by the same age category. It was pretty conclusive that I should aim my magazine at younger years within this category, as it seems a successful one to chose, considering how successful those magazines are.

Then I need to focus on what I would need to fill the magazine with. So I asked people what they like about the magazines they would buy. Results shown that the majority of people researched said the price and the content inside the magazine. This meant I would have to focus on getting the right price for the magazine to sell and getting quality and a great layout content that people would want to read.

The next thing I had to focus on was what time of genre of music should my magazine specialize in. Results were pretty inconclusive as most people liked almost every kind of music I listed, and after looking around at other magazine, I found that only Q magazine covered all genres of music. As my magazine fitted into a niche market, I decided to use VIBE’s idea of covering hip hop and RnB genres which would be perfect for the age group I aimed for. Therefore I would not be losing out to anyone choosing to buy VIBE over my magazine or not purchasing my magazine at all, as it’s not the same target audience.

I also added social media forums which the audience can contact and keep up to date with.



No comments:

Post a Comment